Thread
:
14 die in southern carnage - Thailand
View Single Post
04-07-2012, 01:01 PM
#
12
MYMcvBgl
Join Date
Oct 2005
Posts
380
Senior Member
One detainee 'may be Hat Yai hotel bomber'
Two people suspected of involvement in the Hat Yai and Yala bombings last Saturday have been arrested, Defence Minister ACM Sukumpol Suwanatat said yesterday.
ACM Sukumpol had been informed by authorities that the secretary-general of the Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre (SBPAC) Thawee Sodsong said two bomb suspects had now been arrested. However, the defence minister refused to elaborate.
The defence minister yesterday chaired a meeting of security agencies at the Internal Security Operations Command Region 4 in Pattani's Yarang district during his visit to the three southern border provinces.
It has yet to be confirmed if the two detainees are those whom Songkhla police have identified as suspects in carrying out the bomb attack at the Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel in Songkhla's Hat Yai.
A police source said one of the two detained suspects resembles one of the two men suspected of planting the bomb at the hotel.
Police indentified the two suspects as Seri Waemamu and Ruslan Baima. Warrants have been issued for their arrest.
The suspects, both about 170cm tall, were filmed by the hotel's CCTV cameras walking upstairs from one of the building's five underground parking floors, Level B4, close to the spot where the explosion took place, and then exiting through the carpark's entrance ramp.
The men wore jeans, black jackets and black caps concealed their faces.
The police source said Seri is a unit commander of a separatist group in charge of areas covering Thepha and Saba Yoi districts of Songkhla, and Ruslan is a member of a group of rebels based in Songkhla led by Jema Wani and Pado Kongkhwai.
Police believe the two suspects have fled across the border and are hiding in a safehouse, the source said.
On Wednesday, security officers in Narathiwat arrested three men suspected of being linked to the Yala-Hat Yai bombings last Saturday, which killed a total of 14 people and injured hundreds more.
The three men are Dullohaseng Yamaska, 50, Abdul Asis Hatama, 41, and Adnan Dueramae, 31.
Police said Mr Dullohaseng had fled nine arrest warrants involving violent attacks and that he is one of operational leaders of the Runda Kumpulan Kecil (RKK) militant group.
ACM Sukumpol said security personnel in the three southern border provinces and Songkhla will be provided with modern equipment and technology in order to better detect suspicious objects and to help them deter insurgents.
He said additional CCTV cameras would be installed to boost security in violence-prone areas in the lower South and other security measures would also be stepped up to curb such incidents.
ACM Sukumpol dismissed accusations by the Democrat Party that ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra had held secret talks with southern rebel separatists, saying this was impossible.
Quote
MYMcvBgl
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by MYMcvBgl
All times are GMT +1. The time now is
10:10 PM
.