View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
ycMC0PLg

When Sánchez Ramírez defeated Ferrand in the Battle of Palo Hincado in 1808 (?) and eventually took the city of Santo Domingo in a convoluted series of events, I am always wondering if he raised the Spanish flag? I frankly do not know, but I suppose that is what he did. Spain, apparently responded with some support, although "on the books" the whole island still belonged to??? and here is where it gets interesting: France because she had not recognized the rebels in Haiti as a nation? Or Spain because she was supporting Sánchez Ramírez? Or Haiti because they had conquered the French, declared their independence and therefore "owned" everything that the French had "owned" before the revolution. Pick one, they are all valid to some degree.

HB
To Spain, de facto from 1812, since there were some Dominican representatives at the Congress of Cádiz that gave that country its first liberal constitution during the struggle against the French (a constitution that would be later ignored by Ferdinand VII after he returned to the throne with full powers, but anyway), and de jure from 1815 with the Treaty of Vienna, in which the vanquished French were forced by the Allies to return all the conquests (European and otherwise) the former did during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars of the preceding decades.